You can keep your new organic cotton sheets from pilling if you care for them properly, which I will explain to you here today.
Pilling is when those annoying little balls of material develop on your cotton sheets
after a few trips to the wash and dry. When sheets develop pills they can be unsightly and uncomfortable, causing your sheets to become scratchy.
However, you can prevent pilling on organic cotton sheets or any type of cotton sheets by practicing proper care and by purchasing the right kind of sheets to begin with.
Shop for high quality, 100% Cotton Sheets that are smooth to the touch and have a minimum weight of 4 ounces per square yard, like sheets available in the Nest Bedding store. See our USA made Organic Sheets here.
Always avoid sheets which look and feel thin or rough, or sheets which contain polyester or other synthetics. Here are some important tips for keeping your sheets in optimum condition:
- Always avoid hot temperatures when washing and drying as they tend to weaken fibers..
- Avoid brighteners and other bleaching agents; they weaken and discolor fibers. To brighten whites, add 1/4 cup lemon juice to the wash cycle instead of bleach.
- Dry on the low or medium heat setting; over-drying sheets weakens fibers and bakes off finishes. Line drying is best if practical.
- Store laundered, completely dry sheets in a dry, cool place away from direct sunlight.
- Keep at least three sets of sheets for each bed and rotate weekly.
- To keep sets together and the linen closet neat, store each set in a matching pillowcase.
- Use mild detergent or soap nuts and wait until it's diluted before putting sheets in the washer. Undiluted detergents can discolor fabric. Don't overdo the detergent: If it isn't completely rinsed out, sheets will feel stiff. Use half the manufacturer's recommended amount, and add one cup of white vinegar to the rinse water to remove all traces of detergent
High quality American made organic cotton sheets are the kind of sheets available in our store and with proper care will provide chemical-free sleep for years to come.